Friday, August 20, 2010

Odd orders from a chiropractor...

So, I went to chiropractor yesterday because I was having a lot of issues with my shoulder.  Let me tell you, he beat me up trying to get that shoulder to go back into place or whatever it was he was trying to do.  After about ten minutes of me gritting my teeth and trying not to cry from pain, he tells me he can't get it to how it's supposed to be.  Go figure, right?  Anyway, he goes and gets a golf ball and tells me how to use it to push on my shoulder without having to try to reach my back (something about putting the ball in a sock and leaning against a wall...).  He also suggested I start doing something physical, like running to help relieve the stress in my shoulders.

Today, I took his advice and went for a two mile run.  I haven't been running in about oh... longer than I can remember, probably close to a year.  Let's just say, I'm severely out of shape.  About a mile into the run, my lungs are telling me I'm an absolute moron for taking my chiropractor's advice.  My skin is telling me I should have waited another two hours for the world to cool down when the sun set.  My heart is telling me that I should listen to my brain when it says that having a chiropractor tell me it's time to go running is some of the oddest advice I've ever been given.  My ears are yelling at me for not having smaller ear buds that don't make me hear every single bounce of the chord.  My feet are yelling at me because my best running shoes are about three or four years old and should have been replaced long ago.  And my legs are telling me that if I don't start walking right now I'm going to find myself either face down on the sidewalk or on my butt on the sidewalk, depending on how I have my balance distributed at the time, probably face down.  Somehow, I managed the two mile jog, going very, very, very slowly.

I'm now sitting on my couch after taking a nice, long shower and oddly enough, my shoulder doesn't hurt as bad as it did this morning while I was at work.  My legs, on the other hand, are warning me of the pain I'm going to feel in the morning.  I'm of the opinion that my chiropractor has things perfectly right when it comes to my neck and shoulders.  Now I just have to figure out what to do about my legs...

Meagan

2 comments:

  1. Did your husband join you in this endeavor? I propose your shoulder hurts less only because the rest of your body hurts more. What about all that soccer last year? You are in better shape than many (OK... Most) of us who will read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. much better shape than me... a line really is not a shape... and i have not done any thing straining since high school.

    ReplyDelete